ATLANTA, April 22, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This Earth Day, as Georgians consider ways to "go green," Georgia Power is encouraging customers to consider simple improvements around the house which can result in lower energy usage and increased savings year round. The company works year round to put the power of energy efficiency in the hands of customers through customized programs such as the online My Power Usage program and in-home, in-person energy audits.
Georgia Power's Top 5 Home Energy Efficiency Tips this Earth Day are:
- Seal Ductwork – Gaps in joints/connections in HVAC ductwork can cause heating and cooling bills to increase by as much as 20 to 30 percent.
- Insulate Attics – Properly insulating your attic can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs.
- Install Programmable Thermostats – Using advanced thermostats to set and automatically adjust your home's temperature settings when you're away or sleeping can help you save up to $100 a year.
- Recycle Old Refrigerators & Freezers – Recycling old, secondary refrigerators and freezers can save up to $150 a year in energy costs and you could earn a $50 rebate from Georgia Power.
- Look for the Logo – When replacing appliances, look for the Energy Star® logo as certified appliances use up to 40 percent less energy and water than standard models.
Georgia Power also places a focus on community service on Earth Day. Statewide, Georgia Power employees are marking the day by participating in environmental service projects as part of the company's commitment to the environment and to the communities in which employees live and work. Service projects range from planting flowers and landscaping at a local elementary school in Macon to distributing energy-efficient CFL bulbs in Atlanta to cleaning streams and roadsides in Gainesville.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.4 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, advanced coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Consistently recognized as a leader in customer service, Georgia Power was recently ranked highest in overall business customer satisfaction among large utilities in the South by J.D. Power and Associates. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
Photo - http://mma.prnewswire.com/media/200288/georgia-power-earth-day-infographic.jpg
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20050216/CLW066LOGO
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com