Company offers tips for enjoying its 15 recreational lake properties across the state
ATLANTA, May 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power is joining with other organizations across the country to recognize this week as National Safe Boating Week – a time to highlight and reinforce the importance of safety on the country's lakes, rivers and oceans. More than two million visitors safely enjoy Georgia Power's 15 lake properties each year.
Boaters visiting any of Georgia Power's lakes can ensure a safe and enjoyable experience by remembering simple safety tips such as:
- Wear a Life Jacket – Young or old, and no matter how well you can swim, always wear a life jacket (or a personal flotation device) while on the water.
- Pools vs. Lakes – Make sure children know the difference between pools and lakes – lakes can produce currents, uncertainty on water depth and hidden natural features under the water.
- CPR Basics – Spend a few minutes learning CPR basics. Knowing the proper way to perform CPR can save a life on the lake, or every day. Classes and basic information is available from the American Red Cross (www.redcross.org/cpr) and the American Heart Association (www.heart.org).
- Watch your Speed – Be a courteous boater and watch your speed just like you would on the road. Watch for signage and follow the posted instructions.
- Light at Night – Make sure your boat is equipped with proper lighting if you are going to be on the water at night.
There's always something happening at Georgia Power lakes. The company invites fans of all of the lakes to visit the company's regional lake Facebook pages to receive the latest news and information on local events and lake conditions, and share their personal experiences. Facebook communities include:
To learn more about Georgia Power lakes, visit www.GeorgiaPowerLakes.com.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160523/371027
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20050216/CLW066LOGO
SOURCE Georgia Power