ATLANTA, June 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As the summer heat descends with temperatures forecasted into the 90s, Georgia Power reminds customers that focusing on energy efficiency can help them stay cool, and save money, throughout the hottest months of the year.
Simple tips from Georgia Power include:
- Use Your Fans: Fans create a cooling effect (or "wind chill") and can make a room feel four degrees cooler. Turn ceiling fans off when not in the room to conserve energy.
- Adjust the Drapes: Make sure drapes, curtains and furniture don't block air vents but do block sunlight, which can heat up a room drastically.
- Check your A/C: Have your A/C serviced annually to ensure its running efficiently. When doing yardwork, be sure to trim nearby plants and cut grass away from around the A/C units so it can receive proper air flow.
- Pool Planning: Consider slowly reducing pool filtration time by 30 minute increments daily or install a timer to control the length of time that the pool pump cycles on.
- Secondary Refrigerators and Freezers: Secondary refrigerators and freezers (especially if located in unconditioned garages or sheds) can use tremendous amounts of energy. Consider recycling your refrigerator this summer or recycle your secondary refrigerator or freezer and be eligible for a $50 rebate from Georgia Power.
For more money and energy-saving tips, as well as rebates and incentives, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com/Save. At home or on the go, follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter #SaveEnergy for additional tips, as well as updates on severe weather and power outages throughout the summer.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20050216/CLW066LOGO
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Media Contact: Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com