ATLANTA, Oct. 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As Hurricane Matthew bears down on the Georgia coast, Georgia Power is ready and plans to respond to power outages as quickly and safely as possible with nearly 5,000 personnel from the company and assisting utilities. Crews are strategically positioned inland, including Macon, Statesboro, Adel and elsewhere, and ready to reenter coastal Georgia as Hurricane Matthew subsides. Damage assessment teams will be the first to enter affected areas and will relay critical field information so that restoration teams can be dispatched as safely and efficiently as possible.
Georgia Power wants customers to remain informed throughout the storm and reminds residents to keep safety first by following simple safety tips:
- Before a Storm: Stay aware and check the weather forecast before heading outdoors. Turn off air conditioners as power surges can overload them and charge cell phones in case you lose power.
- During a Storm: Take safe shelter inside a sturdy building away from windows and doors. Avoid contact with conductors of electricity - appliances, metal objects and water.
- After a Storm: Never touch any downed or low-hanging wire, including telephone or TV wires that touch a power line. Never pull tree limbs off of power lines yourself or enter areas with debris or downed trees as downed power lines may be buried in wreckage.
Tools You Can Use
- Outage Alerts: Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center: Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map: Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power's interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App: Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- @GeorgiaPower on Twitter: Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20161007/416552-INFO
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20050216/CLW066LOGO
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com