ATLANTA, May 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- May is National Electric Safety Month across the country and to help promote electric safety to its customers, Georgia Power today released a new public service announcement (PSA) highlighting the common electrical dangers customers face in their homes. The PSA, which is being distributed by the Georgia Association of Broadcasters, was produced in English and Spanish and both versions can be viewed on the company's YouTube channel.
"Our number one priority is the safety of our customers and employees and the mistakes highlighted in our PSA are real situations we hear about almost every day," said Pedro Cherry, executive vice president of Customer Service and Operations for Georgia Power. "Whether at home or work, electricity is a pervasive, important part of our lives and keeping simple safety top of mind is the easiest way to avoid accidents."
Electrical Safety Month Tips from Georgia Power:
- Consider the Cord – Don't place appliance cords where they will come into contact with stoves or other heated surfaces, over countertops or areas where they could be pulled. Look for frayed appliance cords, inspect them regularly and never substitute an extension cord for permanent wiring.
- Look for the Ladder – Exercise caution when using ladders around the house, painting, pruning or cleaning near a service drop as all ladders can conduct electricity.
- Watch for Wires – Keep balloons, kites, fishing lines, aluminum poles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) away from overhead lines every day and as line crews work in the field.
- Proper Poolside Prep – Don't use electrical appliances near pools and never route extension cords around pools.
- Focus on Fire Prevention – Avoid storing combustibles such as paint, cardboard, sawdust and flammable liquids near electrical equipment or fuse boxes.
Georgia Power invites customers to follow the conversation on social media using #NationalElectricSafetyMonth and follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for more safety tips throughout the month. To learn more about electrical safety and access additional tools and resources from the company, visit www.georgiapower.com/safety.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Georgia Power Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com