Georgia Power's Mobile Command Center hits the road for a Hurricane Preparedness Tour
Company highlights storm readiness and encourages customers to prepare for Hurricane Season
ATLANTA, June 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- This week marks the start of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season and Georgia Power is hitting the road with its Mobile Command Center (MCC) to highlight the importance of preparedness and electrical safety before, during and after a storm. Georgia Power monitors weather 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and remains ready to respond and restore service to its 2.5 million customers throughout the state whenever severe weather strikes. The company manages storm response activities from its Storm Center in Atlanta and often deploys the MCC to affected areas to serve as the company's communication and tactical hub.
On Friday, June 2, the Georgia Power MCC will depart Atlanta and make its way to Savannah for the annual Hurricane Expo. The road tour will make stops at landmarks along the way, traveling down the evacuation route through Macon on I-16 to its final stop in Savannah. As the MCC treks along hurricane evacuation routes, the public is invited to follow the journey on social media using #GeorgiaPowerPreps.
"Ensuring reliability for customers is our constant commitment and we're prepared both day and night, for summer thunderstorms or once in a century storms like Hurricane Matthew," said Hamilton Hardin, emergency operations director for Georgia Power. "For customers, the time to prepare for severe weather is when the forecast is clear and we are excited about this opportunity to take this important message on the road."
Tools You Can Use
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power's interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
- Emergency Plan and Kit – Visit the Georgia Power hurricane resource page for information on how to build a family emergency plan and emergency supply kit.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Media Contact: Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com