ATLANTA, June 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- With the busy summer travel season in full swing, Georgia Power reminds customers that following a few simple steps can help deliver big savings even when they're not at home. These summer tips are not only useful when customers are on vacation, but can help them save money and energy every day during the hot summer months.
Tips from Georgia Power this summer include:
- Think about the Thermostat – If you have a programmable thermostat, use the vacation mode if available, which will conserve energy while you're away and make it easy to return to regular settings with the touch of a button. If using a manual thermostat, simply turn the thermostat up a few degrees which will deliver substantial savings.
- Prep the Pool Pump – Pool pumps can use a significant amount of energy when running constantly. Operate pool pumps the minimum number of hours needed to keep the pool clean and invest in a timer to control hours of operation. Also, consider using a pool cover for additional energy savings.
- Time the Lights Right - Timers are an easy way to save money by scheduling lights to power on and off during set timeframes. In addition to energy savings, this strategy adds security by making it appear as if someone is home.
- Keep the Sun Out – While on vacation, close all drapes, curtains and blinds to block sunlight, which can heat up your home drastically. Be sure to keep air vents clear of obstructions.
- Stock the Fridge – A fully stocked refrigerator stays cold better than an empty one, as the cold items will help keep each other cold. Conserve additional energy by adjusting the thermostats to 38 degrees for the refrigerator and five degrees for the freezer.
Georgia Power offers customers the latest in energy saving products from smart thermostats to LED lighting in a single convenient online portal at www.GeorgiaPowerMarketplace.com.
The site also streamlines the rebate process through integration with customers' Georgia Power accounts. Additionally, customers can access valuable energy saving tools and resources online at GeorgiaPower.com/save, including hundreds of easy energy tips, access to a free online energy checkup and a variety of rebates and incentives for both homes and businesses. Finally, check out step-by-step instructions for the do-it-yourselfer are easy to find on Georgia Power's YouTube Channel.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Georgia Power Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com