Simple once-a-year tips to help you save money and energy when you turn the clock back
ATLANTA, Nov. 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- As millions of Georgians change their clocks to mark the end of daylight saving time this Saturday, Nov. 4, Georgia Power encourages customers to make small, once-a-year changes to save money and energy year round.
Tips from Georgia Power:
- Service Your HVAC system – Have your Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system serviced at least once a year by a qualified, licensed and approved HVAC technician. As much as 50 percent of monthly energy use can be attributed to heating and cooling the home with inefficient systems costing customers hundreds of dollars in additional energy costs every year.
- Drain your Water Heater – Make sure your water heater is properly maintained by draining a bucket of water from the tank at least once a year to remove sediment that can interfere with heating.
- Caulk & Strip – Make sure your warm air stays inside by checking for leaks around doors and windows annually. Replace cracked or peeling caulk or weather stripping to save up to 10 percent on energy use.
- Do the Ducts – In addition to cleaning the lint screen after each load, clean your dryer's exhaust duct at least once a year to remove excessive lint which will help maintain the efficiency of the dryer.
- Clean the Coils – Vacuum your refrigerator coils at least once a year to increase its efficiency.
Saving Made Easy
Georgia Power encourages customers to find even more ways to save by accessing energy saving tools and resources online at GeorgiaPower.com/Save, including hundreds of easy energy tips, a free online energy checkup and a variety of rebates and incentives for both homes and businesses. The company also offers customers a single, convenient online portal featuring the most popular energy saving and smart home products, such as LED lighting and smart thermostats, at GeorgiaPowerMarketplace.com. Finally, step-by-step instructions for the do-it-yourselfer are easy to find on Georgia Power's YouTube Channel.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Media Contact: Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com