Crews remain in the field working as quickly and safely as possible to restore power for remaining customers
ATLANTA, Dec. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power crews have made significant progress Saturday, restoring power to customers throughout Northern Georgia and making critical repairs to restore the largest numbers of customers possible and address public safety concerns. Following heavy snowfall and freezing rain which lasted nearly 24 hours, crews continue to face challenging travel conditions with blocked roads, sub-freezing temperatures and additional icing expected overnight.
- Since noon Friday, restoration crews have been in field and have safely restored power to approximately 240,000 customers.
- As of 5 p.m. Saturday, approximately 80,000 customers were without power statewide according to Georgia Power's Online Outage Map. Customers should continue to check the Outage Map as updated local estimated restoration times are posted based on ongoing evaluations with new assessments and repair estimates.
- More than 2,500 individual cases of damage or trouble (including broken poles and lines) the company is working to repair.
Georgia Power reminds customers to keep safety first during severe winter weather and offers multiple tools and resources to stay connected and informed.
After the Storm Safety Tips
- Watch for downed wires. Downed power lines may be hidden by snow, debris or fallen trees.
- Never touch any downed wire or attempt to remove tree branches from power lines – it can kill.
- Don't step in standing water or saturated ground where downed lines may be present. They could be electrified.
- Avoid chain link fences. They may be electrified by a downed line out of sight and conduct electricity over great distances.
- Watch for Georgia Power crews working across the state. If driving, move over one lane for utility vehicles stopped on the side of the road - it's the law in Georgia.
Tools You Can Use
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power's interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
- Winter Weather Prep Videos – Check out a series of informational videos on winter weather preparation at GeorgiaPower.com/WinterPrep.
When severe weather strikes, Georgia Power has access to additional resources available as part of the Southern Company system, which includes multiple electric and gas companies serving more than 9 million customers nationwide. Additionally, Georgia Power is part of a national mutual assistance network consisting of dozens of utilities from around the country, and the company is able to tap into reinforcements when needed to restore power to Georgia customers following a storm.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
For further information: Georgia Power Media Relations, (404) 506-7676 or (800) 282-1696, www.georgiapower.com