ATLANTA, Nov. 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Every family deserves the peace of mind that they will be able to keep their homes warm. As temperatures continue to drop, Atlanta Gas Light is committed to providing resources to customers who may need assistance with their winter heating bills.
"We are committed to connecting customers with local services to identify available assistance programs and ensure the communities where we live and serve can enjoy the comfort and reliability of natural gas this winter," said President and CEO of Atlanta Gas Light Pedro Cherry.
The following agencies provide energy assistance for those who qualify:
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program – LIHEAP helps eligible customers pay for their winter heating service and may cover certain cooling expenses for customers with specific medical conditions. Eligibility is based on household size and income. LIHEAP is 100% federally funded through a grant program from the Federal Department of Health and Human Services.
- Early enrollment for seniors and people with disabilities begins on Nov. 1, 2021, and general enrollment begins Dec. 1, 2021.
- Applications for all energy assistance programs can be made through a local Community Action Agency or non-profit organization. The assistance is available in all 159 counties in Georgia.
- If a participant qualified for LIHEAP last year, he or she must reapply by submitting the state recertification form, along with all other required documents, to their local agency.
- For more information about Georgia LIHEAP, call 1-877-423-4746 or visit the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services website for a list of other resources.
- Heating Energy Assistance Team – H.E.A.T. – The Georgia Department of Human Services distributes H.E.A.T. funds statewide through local community action agencies. H.E.A.T. funds assist households experiencing a potential loss of energy service or households that are in need of getting service restored. Georgians can visit www.heatga.org or call 678-406-0212 to discuss eligibility or donate.
- Senior Discount Program – Atlanta Gas Light will provide eligible senior citizens with a discount of $14 a month on their natural gas bills. The monthly discount is reflected on the bill they receive from their natural gas provider. For more information on eligibility, seniors can contact their provider.
- HopeWorks (formerly Resource Service Ministries) – HopeWorks helps low-income widows in the greater-Atlanta area with weatherization assistance for homes, gas furnace repairs and general maintenance. For more information, call 404-872-0167 or visit www.hopeworks4us.org.
- Project SHARE – Project SHARE provides emergency bill-payment assistance to individuals and families facing a temporary crisis that threatens their home. For more information, call 1. 800.257.4273 or visit salvationarmyatlanta.org/project-share.
- United Way – Customers can call United Way's 211 number for a listing of other agencies that can assist with available funding.
Natural gas customers also can take additional action to prepare for the winter heating season by doing the following:
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows customers to set the temperature in their home while they are away and increase the temperature when they return.
- Inspect windows and doors for drafts. Use caulk or sealant to insulate areas where a draft might be felt.
- Open drapes and shades. Using sunlight is a great way to naturally heat the home during the day.
- Close flues to fireplaces. Closing the flue will prevent warm air from escaping the home.
For more energy efficiency tips, please visit www.atlantagaslight.com/residential/ways-to-save.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light is one of four natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Atlanta Gas Light provides natural gas delivery service approximately 1.7 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit atlantagaslight.com.
About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America's premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.3 million natural gas customers through its regulated distribution companies in four states with approximately 666,000 retail customers through its companies that market natural gas. Other businesses include investments in interstate pipelines and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit southerncompanygas.com.
SOURCE Atlanta Gas Light