Savannah Electric reminds you to have your heating equipment inspected and serviced by a reputable dealer. Since nearly 50 percent of typical residential energy use is for heating and cooling systems, efficient use in these areas offers the greatest potential for savings. If your heating system needs replacing, ask your heating and cooling dealer about a GoodCents Energy Loan (for existing homes) from Savannah Electric.
Here are some heating tips that will help you save energy and money.
- Clean or replace filters monthly.
- Inside your home, keep air vents and returns clear of draperies and furniture. Obstructions can block the free flow of air and damage the compressor, an expensive part to replace.
- In many cases, fireplaces cost more than they save due to heat loss up the flue. Keep the flue closed when not in use.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust heating temperatures to fit your schedule.
- Turn heater down at bedtime. Use a comforter or extra blankets to keep your bed warm. Dress in layers.
- Turn down the heater when you`re not home.